Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The shadow of gender selection


I was talking to someone in the Billing Department at my Doctor's office regarding the cost of IVF with ICSI and PGD today.

She hesitated before she mentioned that gender selection had an additional cost. I was very quick to defend my actions, I very quickly dismissed the gender selection and pointed out I was considering the procedure due to RPL. Gender of any child I had was definitely never an issue for me.

I have been plagued with guilt ever since for oh so many reasons. I did spend my early years in India and am very much aware of what gender selection and being Indian (even in origin) means.

Background: to those unaware, India has a huge issue of gender selection and female infanticide. The government there has made it illegal to reveal gender of the baby prior to birth due to female infanticide and ppl choosing to aborting the female child. Unfortunately it is still very much prevalent today and more so among the educated then the uneducated.

I have spent countless minutes wondering, if she asked me about gender selection because my name is Indian or am I over reacting. I have spent even more time being sad that this is still an issue in India. 

Some shadows, they always lurk in the cobwebs of the human mind dont they?


2 comments:

  1. I hate that this happens :( I would have punched that lady for assuming you wanted it for gender selection! What an ignorant comment! Some people!!!! I'm also thinking along those lines (PGS) to improve chances. I really hope we can get there in the end!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end we decided against IVF with PGD for now. We are going to give Clomid another shot. I hope we do get there in the end

      Delete